Case studies follow many of the guidelines from the Sycuan Institute on Tribal Gaming, a research center at San Diego State University. Here are the research topics (and each geographic area) and online examples from Prairie Island Indian Community and its casino, Treasure Island Casino.
- Economic Development: Use of revenues to improve life for tribal members, diversifying assets, building sustainable communities, etc. Example: Gambling Expansion Study and other pages. Other topics: Food sovereignty, sustainability.
- Economic Factors in Surrounding Communities: Factors that influence players and disposable incomes, contributions to community, etc. Example: FAQs about donations, etc.
- Policy and Political Issues: State/federal intervention, caps, issues of sovereignty, guidelines regarding use of revenues, mandates about gambling, etc. Example: Policy Position – Prairie Island Indian Community
- Regulatory and legal issues: Licensing, compacts, rights of tribes against states (and vice versa) taxation, accounting, etc. Example: Tribal Government.
- Tribal culture: Inter-tribal conflict, how tribal culture affects Indian gaming, maintaining and communicating Native American cultures, balancing heritage vs. operating in the 21st Century, trust/mistrust between tribes, etc. Make sure to see how your tribe meets mandates about responsible gaming and note contents of any Newsroom. Example: Prairie Island Community History.